Rustic Kale and White Bean Soup
April 21, 2014
- 1 Large bunch of Green or Red Kale
- 1 Large Onion, diced
- 3 Stalks of Celery, diced
- 4 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 Fresh Basil, chopped
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 2 15 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can cannellini, white navy beans or other white beans
- 4 cups Water
- 1 Pinch red pepper flakes or dash of hot sauce
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Garnish with touch of Balsamic Vinegar and Parmesan Cheese.
- Trim out the center vein of the Kale leaves and slice the leaves. You will need about 4 cups of the slice Kale leaves.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat add the onion and celery and cook until softened and slightly browned. Stir in the minced garlic, and cook for another minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer soup adding additional water if needed. Cook for 30 to 60 minutes or until Kale is tender. Adjust seasonings and serve with rustic crustly bread. Serve the soup, stirring a few drops of balsamic vinegar and a sprinkling of vegan parmesan into each bowl, if desired. Makes about 6 servings.